December 26-27, 2015 (#4226)
- Topics this week include: Historical gardens on the OSU-Stillwater campus with Steve Dobbs; Two gardens from the 2015 Oklahoma Horticultural Society's Garden Tour for Connoisseurs and Preparing a spinach, mushroom and apple salad with Barbara Brown.
December 19-20, 2015 (#4225)
- Segments this week include: an OKC bioretention and rain garden demonstration project, the Oklahoma City Zoo water conservation demonstration garden; subsurface irrigation systems, an update on the sand cistern project and a visit with Madeleine Wiens with the OKC Office of Sustainability on saving water around the house.
December 12-13, 2015 (#4224)
- This week's segments are all about our future gardeners! Topics include: YMCA youth gardening program in Ponca City; Toy Dump Truck Planter; Using gardening curriculum in daycare programs and Gnome Garden Project for our young gardeners.
December 5-6, 2015 (#4223)
- Consumer Horticulturist David Hillock finds out how to purchase rock for hardscape projects.
- Former host Steve Owens has tips on constructing rock gardens.
- Former host Ray Campbell talks about building raised gardening beds for easier access.
November 28-29, 2015 (#4222)
- Former host Brenda Sanders visits the winners of the 2015 Viewers' Garden Contest.
November 21-22, 2015 (#4221)
- This week features former host Ray Campbell visits the home garden of Jane Carter, garden manager of The Botanic Garden at Oklahoma State University, Extension Food Specialist Barbara Brown has gift ideas for home canners and introduction of the New Oklahoma Gardening host.
November 14-15, 2015 (#4220)
- This week's topics for the week include: Building an Ebb and Flow Bench with Lou Anella; New Mesonet Demonstration Station with Al Sutherland and Barbara Brown makes a Roasted Vegetable Dish with nuts, balsamic vinegar and basil (recipe).
November 7-8, 2015 (#4219)
- Topics this week include: Extension Stormwater Specialist Jason Vogel discusses a new bioretention and rain garden demonstration project in Oklahoma City; OSU-Stillwater Urban Forester Chris Martin visits with a student who gained valuable experience in an on-campus internship with OSU Landscape Services; Extension Food Specialist Barbara Brown prepares a cannellini bean soup (recipe); and Horticultural Tips for November and the winter months.
October 31 & November 1, 2015 (#4218)
- Topics this week include: New trial plants with Bruce Dunn; The most misunderstood arachnid with Andrine Shufran; Identifying snakes in the garden with Dwayne Elmore and Barbara Brown prepares a bean and pea salad.
October 24-25, 2015 (#4217)
- Floriculture Professor Bruce Dunn provides tips for successful fall planting.
- Oklahoma Urban Forestry Coordinator Mark Bays shows how trees can be saved during street renovations.
- Former host Steve Owens talks about Snow on the Mountain Euphorbia.
- Turfgrass Specialist Dennis Martin is at the Oklahoma National Memorial to talk about appropriate turfgrass.
October 17-18, 2015 (#4216)
- Horticulture professor Brian Kahn talks about a squash companion planting study.
- Tulsa County Horticultural Educator Kenda Woodburn shows a study that is using row covers to protect squash plants from insect damage.
- We look at the use of cover crops to rebuild the soil at the OSU Bixby Vegetable Research Station.
- Extension Food Specialist Barbara Brown prepares peach oatmeal bars (recipe).
October 10-11, 2015 (#4215)
- This week we provide a sneak peek at some of the homes on the Oklahoma Horticultural Society’s Garden Tour for Connoisseurs. Former host Brenda Sanders visits with the owners or landscape designers of the following stops on the tour: Garden for all Seasons, Stunning Home in Hidden Lake, Natural Elegance and Grandeur on the Golf Course. The actual tour is on Saturday, October 17. More information can be found at www.ok-hort.org/garden-tour.
October 3-4, 2015 (#4214)
- Topics this weekend include: A visit to the Linnaeus Teaching Garden in Tulsa Oklahoma, Extension Turfgrass Specialist Dennis Martin has steps for establishing a native grass lawn or simulated shortgrass prairie, Food Specialist Barbara Brown prepares a summer garden salad and Horticultural Tips for October.
September 26-27, 2015 (#4213)
- Topics include: Controlling Aphids on Milkweed Plants; Visiting the Final Winner of our 2015 Viewer's Garden Contest; Historical Planting on the OSU Campus with Steve Dobbs, and Preparing a Quick and Easy Garden Salad.
September 19-20, 2015 (#4212)
- Topics include: Visting one Viewers' Garden Contest winner Nan Mills, Justin Moss shows how to calibrate a spreader for turf grass seed, tips for dealing with webworms, overseeding tall fescue in shady area and Eric Rebek looks at spider mites in the vegetable garden.
September 12-13, 2015 (#4211)
- Topics this weekend include: Muskogee daycare uses gardening as part of their curriculum, a favorite the Hardy Ice Plant, Delosperma cooperi, visiting one of the Viewers' Garden Contest winners with a beautiful low water use garden, and Dennis Martin identifying summer weeds this time of the year.
September 5-6, 2015 (#4210)
- Topics include: Viewer's Garden Contest Winner in Colony; Underground Turfgrass Irrigation Systems; Passion Vine; Barbara Brown prepares a vegetable quinoa salad (recipe); and September Horticulture Tips.
August 29-30, 2015 (#4209)
- Topics include: Tasks to Do to Have Spring Blooming Bulbs for next year; Summer Cleanup and Maintenance in the Ornamental Beds and Watermelon and Chicken Salad in a Jar with Barbara Brown (recipe).
August 22-23, 2015 (#4208)
- Topics include: A visit to the Tulsa Botanic Garden with former host Steve Owens; Former host Ray Campbell plants a fall garden, and Extension Food Specialist Barbara Brown prepares peach and mango salsa (recipe).
August 15-16, 2015 AUGUSTFEST
August 8-9, 2015 AUGUSTFEST
- Reruns of Oklahoma Gardening can be seen during this time on digital channel OETA-OKLA.
August 1-2, 2015 (#4205)
- Topics include: Pruning Water Sprouts and Suckers; Removing Unwanted Plants from Ground Covers; Weed ID and August Gardening Tips.
July 25-26, 2015 (#4204)
- Topics include: Most Common Spiders in Oklahoma; Spider Identification: Cellar Spiders and Harvestman Arachnids, Tarantulas and Wolf Spiders, Brown Recluse and Black Widow, and Jumping Spiders and Lynx Spiders; Columnar Apple Trees; Garden Markers from Silverware; and Making Bookmarks from Plant Material.
July 18-19, 2015 (#4203)
- Topics include: Why Gardens need Butterfly Larvae; Beautiful Alternative to Roses; Making a Grassy Caterpillar for a Kids Gardening Project; Create a Simple Bonsai from a Small Juniper and Barbara Brown prepares Sweet Potato Hash (recipe).
July 11-12, 2015 (#4202)
- Topics include: How to Monitor for Fruit Flies; Looking at Redbud Leaffolder; Benefits of Daily Monitoring of your Garden; and Beef and Broccoli Stir-fry with Barbara Brown (recipe).
July 4-5, 2015 (#4153)
- Topics include: Using Rocks in the Landscape and Basics of Constructing a Rock Garden with Steve Owens; Sand Water Cistern Project Update with Jason Vogel; Great Plants for Herb Gardens with Brenda Sanders and Tips for July.
June 27-28, 2015 (#4152)
- Topics include: Vegetable Container Garden Update; Identifying and Controlling Squash Bugs; Unwanted Insects in Peach Trees; Tips for Harvesting Rainwater; Four Most Common Fruit Tree Diseases in Oklahoma Orchards; and Black Beans and Rice (video starts with the end of peach segment) with Barbara Brown (recipe).
June 20-21, 2015 (#4151)
- Topics include: Planting Pumpkins in the Vegetable Garden; Creating a Windbreak on Your Property; Making Planters from Children's Toys; Tree Pest ID and Prepare a Strawberry and Asparagus Salad.
June 13-14, 2015 (#4150)
- Topics include: Rust Disease in Kentucky Bluegrass with Dennis Martin, Turfgrass Specialist; Benefits of Mulching the Garden and Garden Tool Favorites; Use Your Smart Phone to Learn about the Gardens on the OSU Stillwater Campus; Identify the Culprit Behind Spots in the Bermudagrass; and Creating a Vertical Planter with a Jello Mold.
June 6-7, 2015 (#4149)
- Topics include: Creating a Hanging Plant from an Old Light Fixture; Identifying Unknown Plants with David Hillock; Tips on Sending Insect Samples to OCES for Identification; How to Collect Samples for Plant Disease Diagnosis with Jen Olson; Gardening Tips for June and Bug Suckers, Garden Activity for Kids.
May 30-31, 2015 (#4148)
- Topics include: Making decorative bird feeders from repurposed materials with Brenda Sanders; Evaluating Trees Before Planting with Chris Martin; Container Vegetable Garden with Ray Campbell; Barbara Brown preparing a corn and potato skillet; and David Hillock looking at the 'Purple Robe' black locust, spring blooming tree.
- The ‘Purple Robe’ black locust, Robinia ‘Purple Robe’ is a tree growing up to 30-40 feet high and 20-30 feet wide. It is quite tolerant of difficult growing conditions. It is not a perfect tree because it is known to produce root suckers, which can be a nuisance and it is susceptible to various diseases and insects, however, the spring display of showy, fragrant, violet purple flowers is well worth trying this tree. The flowers grow in 8 inch pendant racemes in mid to late spring attracting bees. Leaves emerge a bronze-red in spring, maturing to a bronze green in summer.
May 23-24, 2015 (#4147)
- Topics include: Visit a garden on the OSU-Stillwater campus built to honor mothers with Steve Dobbs; Spring Dead Spot in Bermudagrass with Specialist Dennis Martin; Visit with Horticultural Supervisor Lance Swearingen about Waterwise Plantings at the OKC Zoological Park and Botanical Garden; and lastly Ray Campbell has Spring Chores for healthy fruit trees.
May 16-17, 2015 (#4146)
- Topics include: Tips on Fertilizing Blackberries and a New Fact Sheet; Introducing a Beautiful Tri-color Strawberry; Controlling Bermudagrass Encroachment in Paths and Plantings Beds with Justin Moss; Planting Peanuts with Ray Campbell; and Barbara Brown Prepares a Spinach Salad.
May 9-10, 2015 (#4145)
- Topics include: Establishing a warm-season lawn from seed with Justin Moss; 2015 Oklahoma Gardening Viewer's Garden Contest; Successfully planting a container grown tree and horizontal staking a newly planted tree with Chris Martin; and Barbara Brown with a Piperade Recipe.
May 2-3, 2015 (#4144)
- Topics include: Training Standard Plantings with Steve Owens; Creating Shelley Mitchell showing us Planters from Scrap Materials; and Brenda Sanders with Vining Plants for the Landscape.
April 25-26, 2015 (#4143)
- Topics include: David Hillock visits Buckley Sticks and Stone to learn about the different types of rock available for landscape projects. Payne County Horticulturist Keith Reed has an inexpensive method to keep your landscape projects on the level, Getting the Water Garden Ready for Spring and Shelley Mitchell with "Creating a Gnome Garden" for a fun children's gardening project.
April 18-19, 2015 (#4142)
- Topics include: Planting a Clematis Vine Properly with former host Brenda Sanders; Campus Tree Study and the Value of Trees in the Landscape with former host Steve Dobbs and Chris Martin, Stillwater Urban Forester; Grafting Techniques for Vegetable Plants with Professor Bruce Dunn.
April 11-12, 2015 (#4141)
- Topics include: Great succulents for Oklahoma Landscapes with former host Steve Owens; Orchids with Nate Teschaenn, Myriad Botanical Gardens Conservatory Specialist and David Hillock, Consumer Horticulturist; Casey Sharber, Director of Horticulture, Myriad Botanical Gardens; Taste Cocoa Fruit with David Hillock and Nate Tschaenn; New Horticultural Changes on the OSU Stillwater campus with former host Steve Dobbs and Cabbage with Caraway with Barbara Brown.
April 4-5, 2015 (#4140)
- Topics include: Basics of Succulents with Steve Owens; Southwest Injury in Deciduous Trees; Stratification and Scarification Techniques for Better seed Germination with Professor Bruce Dunn; April Gardening Tips and Winter Vegetable Soup with Barbara Brown.
March 28-29, 2015 (#4139)
- Topics include: Dr. Ray Campbell prepares a tomato planting site; Pruning methods of roses with David Hillock; Campbell discusses the construction, soil preparation, planting and accessibility issues of his new raised beds.; Shelley Mitchell demonstrates making a seed germination necklace as a young gardener's project.
March 21-22, 2015 (#4138)
- Topics include: Plants with Winter Interest with Dr. Mike Schnelle; Transplanting Blueberries and Raspberries; OSU Water Week and the 40-gallon Challenge; Water Saving Tips and Resources with Dr. Justin Moss and Madeleine Wiens and Barbara Brown preparing a Canned Beet and Blue Cheese Salad.
February 28-March 14: OETA Festival
February 21-22, 2015 (#4134)
- Topics include: Easy Spring Vegetables; Winter Annual Weed Control with Dr. Justin Moss; Pruning Clematis; Pre-emergent Weed Control and 'Snow Sprite' Dwarf Deodar Cedar and Kim Toscano says goodbye
February 14-15, 2015 (#4133)
- Topics include: Plant Responses to Pruning Cuts; Potting Vegetable Seedlings; Starting Herb Seeds; Barbara Brown prepares Ambrosia Salad; Great Backyard Bird Count and Cleaning Bird Houses
February 7-8, 2015 (#4132) Best of Oklahoma Gardening Series
- Topics include: Soil Organic Matter and Nutrition, Bee Boxes, Attracting and Protecting Native Pollinators, Cool-Season Turfgrasses and Spring Irrigation System Maintenance
January 31 - February 1, 2015 (#4131) Best of Oklahoma Gardening Series
- Topics include: Evergreen Shrubs for Shade, 'Blond Ambition' Blue Grama, Evergreen Shrubs for Sun, Plants for Poorly Drained Soils, Plants for Slopes and Shrubs for Planting under Walnut Trees
January 24-25, 2015 (#4130) Best of Oklahoma Gardening Series
- Topics include: Safely Felling a Tree, How to Safely Notch a Tree for Direct Felling, Replenishing the Urban Forest, Checking Tree Trunks for Encircling Roots and Mulching Trees
January 17-18, 2015 (#4129) Best of Oklahoma Gardening Series
- Topics include: Herbs for Tea, Drying Herbs, Barbara Brown prepares refreshing fruit and herb infused waters, Brewing Tea with Fresh Herbs, Pruning Perennial herbs and Transplanting Herbs
January 10-11, 2015 (#4128)
- Topics include: Oklahoma Horticultural Society's Annual Garden Tour for Connoisseurs, Commonwealth Urban Farms, Central Park Community Gardens
January 3-4, 2015 (#4127)
- Topics include: Managing Rainwater in the Landscape, Bear Creek Farms, Garden Irrigation Kit, Prescribed Fire, Innovation at Guilford Gardens and Smart Pots