Choctaw Hunters Stew
- 2 lbs. venison
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- tsp. salt
- tsp. pepper
- 6 carrots
- 3 ribs celery
- 2 large onions
- 2 large potatoes
- 3 cups of tomatoes or large can of tomatoes
- 2 cups of fresh corn kernels or larger can of corn
- 2 cups okra
To prepare the hunter’s stew:
- Cut the meat into bite-size piece.
- Add 2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil to a hot pot.
- Add garlic cloves and onion to vegetable oil.
- Sauté’ in oil.
- Then add your meat to brown.
- Add ½ tsp of salt and ½ tsp of pepper.
- Cover meat with water and cook until done.
- While the deer meat is cooking you can be preparing the vegetables.
- Cut the vegetables in bite size pieces.
- Add these vegetables to the tender meat and simmer until done.
- This hunter’s stew is very good served with cornbread or fry bread.
- You can find this recipe and addition Choctaw recipes on the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma webpage, Located in Choctaw Culture, Choctaw Foods.